Is Our Electoral Process Broken?
Boston NPR Freak Out and Carry On Podcast Oct 26, 2017
This week on Freak Out And Carry On, recorded live in front of an audience at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Ron Suskind and Heather Cox Richardson talk with Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig. They discuss reforming the electoral college, the gerrymandering case in front of the Supreme Court, and how to get money out of politics. They look back on the four presidents who won the electoral college but lost the popular vote and detail the 2000 Supreme Court case Bush v. Gore.
Lawrence Lessig: “After the 2016 election the electoral college became the most salient example of our electoral inequality. It is the place where it’s easiest for people to see. We’ve built a system that says to Americans voters if you happen to be a Republican in Massachusetts, or a Republican in California, or a Democrat in Texas, you literally do not matter to the presidential campaigns. And we know this by the behavior of the presidential campaigns. Fourteen states accounted for ninety-nine percent of campaign spending in the last election cycle. Those 14 states accounted for 95 percent of where the candidates spent their time. The other 5 percent they were in California and New York raising money from rich people. So the point is the system has develop such that the simple promise of a democracy where we are equal has been denied.”
Still bruised from Clinton loss, left takes aim at Electoral College in court Fox News Oct 19, 2017 A liberal-led push to overhaul the Electoral College could be moving from the op-ed pages to the courtroom, as a Harvard professor who flirted with a dark-horse...read more
Is It Time To Reform The Electoral College? WBGH Oct 10, 2017 More Coverage On Step 2: Filing Lawsuits Tell your grandkids you helped save American democracy—join the grassroots effort to make our presidential elections more equal. We’ll keep you updated on our...read more
Lawrence Lessig: It's Time To Reform The Electoral College Texas Public Radio The Source Oct 9, 2017 The results of the 2016 presidential election prompted many Americans to question the electoral college – a winner-takes-all system which empowers a group of 538...read more
The Lawsuit That Could Change the Electoral College with Lawrence Lessig The Majority Report October 5, 2017 Author and law professor, Lawrence Lessig, explains the questionable historical roots of the modern implementation of the electoral college. The legal case he...read more
The Oregonian: Electoral-college reform would have defeated Donald Trump; now some Republicans back effort, seek action before 2020
Electoral-college reform would have defeated Donald Trump; now some Republicans back effort, seek action before 2020 The Oregonian Oct 4, 2017 Lawrence Lessig wanted to be president. In 2015, the Harvard Law School professor launched a quixotic, single-issue campaign...read more
The Washington Times: Lawsuits aim to change winner-take-all Electoral College system by 2020 presidential race
Lawsuits aim to change winner-take-all Electoral College system by 2020 presidential race The Washington Times Sep 27, 2017 The votes have been counted and President Trump has moved into the White House, but the campaign to upend the Electoral College is far from...read more
Lawrence Lessig Talks About Taking the Electoral College to Court Independent Voter Podcast Sep 2017 More Coverage On Step 1: Crowdfunding Campaign Tell your grandkids you helped save American democracy—join the grassroots effort to make our presidential elections...read more
Election Reform: Attacking with Today’s Tools CommPRO Sep 23, 2017 If you went out to vote for Donald Trump in California or Hillary Clinton in Texas last November, you might as well have stayed home. Your vote didn’t count. That’s the position of Harvard law...read more
Episode 404: How to Reform the Electoral College The Ring of Fire Radio Sep 22, 2017 Harvard Professor, Lawrence Lessig, joins the show to discuss his lawsuit against the electoral college in an effort to make sure everyone’s vote is equal.. His segment starts at...read more